Turmeric was chosen as the Supplement of the Year 2019 at the National Health Fair. This healing spice from Southeast Asia has been in the interest as an antioxidant in Western countries in the recent years. Because the intake from food is low, it is often sold as a supplement. Time to put the health benefits of turmeric in a row.
Turmeric is a spice extracted from the plant Curcuma longa. The Indian yellow root belongs to the ginger family and is a very popular spice in Asian cuisine. Turmeric has been used for over 6000 years in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine. In the West, the spice is also increasingly seen as a potential wonder drug in recent years.
Turmeric contains three different yellow pigments (curcuminoids), all of which have a powerful antioxidant effect. These are curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Curcumin is the most important bioactive substance. The disadvantage is that curcumin is not so easily absorbed into the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, the liver breaks down the curcumin. Curcumin supplements are the solution to this problem.
Health benefits of turmeric
A lot of research has been done and one thing is certain: turmeric is one of the most powerful spices we know. A number of health benefits at a glance:
– Turmeric supports your immune system
– Turmeric promotes good digestion
– Turmeric has cancer inhibitory properties
– Turmeric has a cholesterol-lowering effect
– Turmeric protects against cardiovascular diseases
– Turmeric supports your natural immune system
– Turmeric protects healthy cells and tissues in the body
– Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory
– Turmeric promotes weight loss
– Turmeric helps to curb metabolic disorders
– Turmeric restores damaged brain cells
– Turmeric helps against depression
– Turmeric improves memory and concentration
– Turmeric works as a painkiller
– Turmeric provides relief for joint pain
– Turmeric ensures a beautiful skin
– Turmeric protects against toxic substances
– Turmeric can help cure type-2 diabetes
And so we can continue for a while. It is clear that the health benefits are endless. Do you use turmeric in your diet? Always take it with black pepper. Studies have shown that turmeric is poorly absorbable by itself, but that the absorption of turmeric strongly increases if you take it in combination with piperine from black pepper.